R&D Design Engineer
Engineering / Manufacturing Sector – high precision components and machines
Based: Dorset Salary: £Excellent + Benefits
The R&D Design Engineer will lead on developing new technologies and new product development from research, concept design, testing and rolling out to internal manufacturing and provide technical and practical assistance in implementation of customer inquiries and New Product Introduction (NPI) activity. Also responsible for the practical implementation of the preliminary theoretical R&D process, you will also provide support to manufacturing, procurement, quality and engineering departments consistent with principles of introduction of new / improved methods and products.
- To take an active role in the creation of new product developments and technological developments
- Overseeing the R&D, Design, Manufacturing and Testing of new and complex high-precision components
- To define stakeholder and system requirements, making product design proposals that fulfil agreed specifications
- To take ownership of projects, monitoring and driving progress towards agreed completion targets
- To provide and evaluate results for given FEA Structural, thermal and CFD problems and to be proficient in the use of the analysis software particularly in the area of high-speed rotating machinery
- To ensure the practical implementation of both theoretical and proven solutions in collaboration with the engineering, manufacturing, quality and procurement departments
- To assist in the improvement and development of manufacturing techniques for new and existing products whilst working closely with all associated departments and personnel
- To work with the Design Engineering team in the development of new parts and products and to provide, where necessary, CAD models for detail design
- To provide supporting evidence to design proposals through the use of theoretical analysis tools, such as FEA and CFD, refining designs in line with the results of system simulation
- To construct, maintain and review project management plans which define the ‘work breakdown structure’ required to complete development and new product introduction activities within agreed time schedules
- To investigate customer/supplier issues, establishing ‘root cause’ of identified problems and work with relevant departments to ensure corrective and preventative actions are successfully implemented
- To provide technical support to customers and all internal departments as required
- Ideally a postgraduate qualification in Mechanical Engineering and significant understanding of machine manufacture is essential whether from an academic perspective or having worked in the development field of capital equipment
- Experience of designing rotating equipment would be advantageous
- Previous experience of using Autodesk Inventor is desirable but experience of engineering drawings using 3D CAD software is essential
- Relevant experience in the use of and interpretation of results from FEA and CFD
- Significant experience of working within formal configuration control systems is desirable
- Experience of leading project teams
- A creative engineer with strong communication skills able to work as part of a wider team at all levels
- IT literacy
- Flexibility for occasional travel
We are proud to represent a world leading innovative designer and manufacturer of engineered solutions as a newly created vacancy now exists for a R&D Design Engineer reporting into the Engineering Manager. An integral part of the Design Team, you will be involved in the development and integration of new methods, solutions and products in response to the customers' requirements and the company’s strategic objectives. Operating in a high precision environment you will be at the forefront of NPI working in a global company.
In return we offer an excellent salary and benefits package and a flexible and caring working environment.
To apply for this exciting vacancy send your CV to the retained consultants Kendall Poole Consulting Ltd quoting reference number ASP/2605 at email@example.com for the attention of Alison Poole. Successful applicants will be contacted with 3 weeks.